1. On March 6, 1869, Dmitri Mendeleev presented the first Periodic Table of the Elements to the Russian Chemical Society. What memories do you have of your high-school chemistry course?
I loved Chemistry in high school. I was good at it too, but being…well…me, there were mishaps. Because I am an “experimenter.” As in, if this much of this chemical makes that reaction, I can’t wait to see what THIS MUCH does! At one point there were flames shooting from the sink drain. The most vivid memories I have from chem class are:
-The time there was a lice outbreak in school and I wrapped my head in paper towels before putting on the shared goggles. I was afraid there were lice lingering in the strap.
-The time, during our big long-term independent projects (mine was on acid rain – how old am I?), a janitor inadvertently waxed the classroom floor and I slipped as I was carrying two beakers of acid. They spilled all over me and burned my arms and the teacher (who happened to be a sub that day) grabbed an aloe plant that was part of my friend’s project and sliced it open and rubbed it all over my arms before sending me to the nurse. My friend just stood there moth agape, wondering what the fuck he was going to do about his ruined project.
If this had been about college chemistry, you would have read about the time I almost burned down the science building and the time I stripped down in front of the entire class under the emergency shower.
2. On March 6, 1899, the Bayer company registered aspirin as a trademark. When did you last take medication for pain?
Are we taking over-the-counter? Because that happens almost every day. Prescription would be a couple of years ago for a root canal. Most prescription painkillers make me very sick, so I avoid them unless absolutely necessary.
3. On March 6, 1853, Giuseppe Verdi’s opera La Traviata premiered in Venice. How do you feel about opera?
It’s quite moving to see an opera live, but I am not one to listen to it otherwise. But when I do hear it, I enjoy it. I have been to the opera a few times, and would go again if someone gave me tickets or invited me along, but I wouldn’t necessarily seek them out.
4. On March 6, 1947, American film director Rob Reiner (Meathead!) was born. Which of these Reiner-directed films have you seen, and what do you think them?
* The Bucket List (2007) didn’t see it
* Rumor Has It… (2005) didn’t see it
* Alex & Emma (2003) didn’t see it
* The Story of Us (1999) didn’t see it
* Ghosts of Mississippi (1996) liked it
* The American President (1995) it was ok
* North (1994) it was ok
* A Few Good Men (1992) eh
* Misery (1990) loved it
* When Harry Met Sally… (1989) loved it
* The Princess Bride (1987) loved it
* Stand by Me (1986) loved it
* The Sure Thing (1985) I only remember that I saw this in my small town theater with my friend Tee
* This Is Spinal Tap (1984) loved it
5. On March 6, 1972, American basketball-player Shaquille O’Neal was born. How do you feel about basketball?
Basketball is a fun sport to watch, but I can’t get into it on TV. Mainly because we don’t have a pro team here and it’s hard to give a shit. I will follow Pitt’s games but rarely ever watch them on TV. I loved SpaceJam, though – does that count?