Updated: No winners yet, so check the comments for some hints.
In less than 2 weeks, it will be my five year blogiversary (I started off at diaryland way back in April 2004), so I have decided to celebrate. I will probably share some of my favorite entries over the past five years and pretend that it’s not just laziness keeping me from writing something original. And I’ll justify it by telling myself that most of my current readers didn’t know me way back when, so it actually is original. So there.
But I’ll make it up to you with five giveaways – one for each year. And I think I will add a little to each giveaway (but don’t get too excited – there won’t be any laptops or iPods here – I’m no Pioneer Woman. Still – free stuff is free stuff) . C’mon – it’ll be fun!
The first prize is a $15 iTunes gift card, which will go to the first person who can name three songs that are on my iPod (yes, I’m making you work for it – I get so little pleasure these days – humor me). You can guess more than once, and I’ll keep it open until someone gets it.
The rules: the songs must be by different artists and can’t be any of the songs I list below.
Hints: I have varied tastes in music, though I am not a big fan of current R&B or rap. And I’m not a jazz fan. Otherwise, I have stuff on there from current albums and from 4 decades ago.
Anyway, since today’s prize is about music, I’ve decided to do a music meme. The “Pick Three” music meme.
And also – I need to point out the fact that many of these are old, since I am so entirely out of touch with today’s music.
Song(s) That I Loathe to the Core of My Being
* Cherish – Remember that song? I don’t know who it is by 0- I think of them as “the miserable, evil fuckers are who tried to kill me with it”. All these years later, it makes me want to stab someone.
* Viva la Vida – I like Coldplay well enough, but I find this song entirely annoying.
* The horror that is Carrie Underwood’s version of Home Sweet Home. Stabby!
Musical Artist(s) That I Loathe to the Core of My Being
*Michael McDonald. Never liked him, but 40 Year Old Virgin and Taylor Hicks cemented it.
Rolling Stones Song(s) I Love
(I’m not a huge Stones fan, so there’s only about 3 that I really like. . .)
* Wild Horses
* Not Fade Away
Beatles Song(s) I Love
(How could I possibly narrow this down to only 3?)
* While My Guitar Gently Weeps
* She Came In Through the Bathroom Window
* Rocky Raccoon (this one was the boy’s favorite song when he was 3)
Who Song(s) I Love
* The Kids Are Alright
*Long Live Rock
Reggae Song(s) I Love
* Three Little Birds – Bob Marley
* Redemption Song – Bob Marley
* Is This Love – yep – him again
Country Song(s) I Love
(Gah – I’ll stick to the older or less mainstream, since I couldn’t narrow the new stuff. And it’s still impossible.)
* Lay You Down – Conway Twitty. No – Hello Darlin. No. I don’t know.
* Seminole Wind – John Anderson
* Luckenbach Texas – Waylon Jennings
Movie Soundtrack(s) I Love
* Oh Brother Where Art Thou
* Dirty Dancing
* Pretty In Pink
Musical Soundtrack(s) I Love
* The Civil War (The Nashville Sessions)
* Man of la Mancha (because I was in it in High School and know all the words. Plus I had sex for the first time with one 18 year old Mr. Don Miguel de Cervantes/Quixote himself, so it holds special memories for me)
* Beauty and the Beast (this may be cheating since it was a movie first, but damn it –I love it)
Cover Song(s) I Love
* Shameless by Billy Joel (cover by Garth Brooks – my wedding song)
* When You Say Nothing At All by Keith Whitley (Alison Krauss cover)
* Crazy by Willie Nelson (cover by Patsy Cline)
Contemporary Top-40 Artist(s) I Secretly Love
* Love is really too strong a word. . .
* Because I can’t think of one I love
* But then, maybe I am being too narrow in my definition, because all I think of is Britney Spears and Mariah Carey and Celine Dion and then I puke. And get stabby.
Song(s) That Bring Me to Tears
* He Stopped Loving Her Today – George Jones
* The Dance – Garth Brooks
* Where’ve you been – Cathy Mattea (I actually have to turn this one off sometimes because it leaves me a sobby mess)
Song(s) That Make Me Shake My Ass
* Smooth – Carlos Santana and Rob Thomas
* La Bamba – Ritchie Valens/Los Lobos
* Shakedown Street – Grateful Dead
Classical Composer(s) I Love
Rap/Hip-Hop Song(s) I Love
* Rappers Delight – Sugar Hill Gang (Old, old me. . .)
* I’m sure there are more, but I’ll be damned if I could name them
* Does Word Up count as rap? (God, I’m old)
70s Disco Song(s) I Love
Man- I love disco – I can’t narrow it down. Other than everything by Earth Wind and Fire:
* I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor
* Last Dance – Donna Summer
* Dancing Queen – ABBA
and eleventy five others (have I mentioned how old I am?)
70s Supergroup Song(s) I Love
* Lovin’ Touchin’ Squeezin’ – Journey (I love all Journey songs, actually)
* Dazed and Confused – Led Zeppelin
* Best of Times – Styx
Metal Song(s) I Love
* I haven’t loved metal since the 80s and I’m getting tired of thinking, so suck it, music meme
New Wave Song(s) I Love
(Do these count? Because they were “new wave” in the 80’s. I checked, though and they’re on “new wave” compilation albums, anyway, so I am using them)
* Melt with You – Modern English
* Safety Dance – Men without Hats
* Hungry like the Wolf – Duran Duran
Soul/R&B Song(s) I Love
I only rally like the old stuff (again with the old)
* Midnight Train to Georgia – Gladys Knight
* Me and Mrs. Jones – Billy Paul
* Kiss and Say Goodbye – Manhattans
Power Ballad(s) I Love
This is another hard one to narrow down, because power ballads are all about the 80’s and being an angsty teen I the 80’s, I loved this shit.
* Mama, I’m Coming Home – Ozzy
* I Wanna Know What Love Is – Foreigner
* Keep on Loving You – REO Speedwagon
Pre Rock and Rock Era Songs I Love
* Run Around Sue (this one because it reminds me of Tammy. It might not exactly be PRE-rock, but it’s close enough)
* In the Mood – Glenn Miller
* Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy – Andrew Sisters
Punk Song(s) I Love
* London Caling – The Clash
* I Wanna Be Sedated – Ramones
* Anarchy in the UK – Sex Pistols
Singer/Songwriter Song(s) I Love
* Rocky Mountain High – John Denver
* River – Natalie Merchant
* Positively 4th Street – Bob Dylan
MTV Video(s) I Love
(hello – I show my age by merely admitting that have ever seen a video on MTV. I guess I should just say Video Killed the Radio Star and call it a day)
* Take on Me – Aha
* Drive – The Cars
* Keep Your Hands to Yourself – Georgia Satellites (I know – no big special effects or anything, but they just looked like they were having so much find riding around in the back of that truck)
“None of the Above” Songs I Love
* Row Jimmy – Grateful Dead – My all-time favorite Dead song.
* Hillbilly Deluxe – Brooks (my sexy future husband) and Dunn (it’s not really a “none of the above”, but I don’t care. We’re talking about my future husband here and if I want to include him again, I can)
* Primal Scream – Rusted Root
* Eh – haven’t I embarrassed myself enough already?
Songs to Have A Little Fun (*ahem*) To
* Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd (ahh, this one takes me back to college and my favorite One That Got Away. The one I always hope I’ll see again and yet sort of hope I’ll never see again, because I don’t know what my reaction would be)
*I don’t know – if I have enough alcohol, any song can be one
* But I can tell you which song is not good, and that would be the song that was playing just as I was about to have sex for the very first time – Relax, by Frankie Goes to Hollywood (lyrics: “Relax, don’t do it, when you want to go to it, relax don’t do it, when you want to come”). Not very romantic. I told Frankie to suck it and did it anyway.