Don’t forget folks – today is Election Day and you need to get out there and vote. Seriously. Here are some reasons why:
1. Because someone is talking about raising your taxes or reassessing your property or cutting your benefits or taking your land or raising your energy costs or lowering your wages or eliminating your job. Vote.
2. Because you love to run your big fat mouth about the government, and the problems in your country or state or city or borough. Vote.
3. Because we all should have the right to get married. Vote.
4. Because you’re sick of making 75 cents on the dollar (or 68 or 57) compared to your white male counterpart.
5. Because even though you believe in God (or not), you understand that he doesn’t belong in our schools. Besides, if he’s in your heart, you don’t need someone to lead you to him during recess anyway. Or because you think he does belong there. Vote.
6. Because you have no social life and fucking with the last-minute campaign workers is fun. As they thrust their literature at you, hand them your card. Or a losing lottery ticket. Or a playing card. Or a tootsie pop. Or a scientology brochure. Have fun with it. Vote.
7. Because there are people in government who will outright lie about statistics in order to further their agenda that will result in illness and death of poor and uninsured women. Vote.
8. Because if some politicians have their way, women and girls who are victims of rape and incest seeking abortions will have to prove it to the IRS or be audited. Vote.
9. Because there’s nothing on TV at that time anyway. Vote.
10. Because you’re damned sick and tired of hearing about more and more (and more) casualties. Vote.
11. Because voting is HOT! Vote.
12. Because the US Supreme Court is upholding a school’s decision to kick a teenage rape victim off the cheerleading squad for refusing to cheer for her convicted rapist. And making her pay $45,000 in the school’s court cost. Vote.
13. Because you can. Vote.
14. Because you should. Vote.
15. Because the notion that blind allegiance = patriotism needs to abolished once and for all. Vote.
16. Because we are still blaming the victim. Even though the victim is 11 and she was raped by 18 men. Vote.
17. Because regardless of what you thought of the outcome, Election 2000 should never happen again. Vote.
18. Because too many people are still displaced in the southeast US. Vote.
20. Because I said so. Vote.
21. Because breathing other people’s smoke sucks. Vote.
22. Because you want control over your own body. Vote.
23. Because no book should ever be banned. Vote.
24. Because not many of us can afford college. Vote
25. Because more than 40 million Americans are without health insurance. Think this doesn’t affect you? You’re wrong. These people end up using emergency rooms for basic healthcare, which clogs up the system, resulting in inferior care and increased costs for everyone. Vote.
27. Because that Native American from the 70s? Still crying. Vote.
28. Because you do not need an AK47 to kill a deer. Vote.
29. Because almost 50 years later, we’re still not judging people by the content of their character. Vote.
30. Because the suffragettes and the civil rights workers didn’t their bust their asses for you to sit on yours. Vote.
31. Because as much as it sucks, picking the lesser of the two evils is better than letting everyone else pick for you. Vote.
So, in case you didn’t get me: Please Vote.